In the last period evolution seems (the conditional is a must) has at least slowed down by pushing homes to focus on details rather than on pure technological innovations.
Today we will try to understand what are the strengths and weaknesses of devices that have been monopolizing the global market for a few months or a few days.
We'll look at some sort of virtual 5 devices ranking:
- Fluidity / Features of the System
- Value for money
- Materials (9 rating on 10): From the 2S version, Xiaomi's flagship device has evolved quite a lot, passing through an aluminum and magnesium body, but with Mi3 polycarbonate cases to the steel monobloc body with polished metal edges of the Mi4.
Steel is definitely the idea of solidity and robustness even if compared to aluminum put on a few grams too. The idea is to leave the polycarbonate insert for the back cover so that the user can change the color or style as he likes.
- Design (8 Rating on 10): Many have complained of a clear resemblance to the penultimate model of the Apple series. But we are not here to judge whether this is true or not, whether it is right or not. Like the iPhone 5, the Mi4 also has a very simple, linear and at the same time sophisticated design thanks to the sharp edges in shiny metal. The 5 inches of display have been placed in a smartphone after all quite compact that makes the optimization of the lateral edges, upper and lower a big strength. A couple of mm less in thickness would certainly have helped a design that was definitely appreciated.
- Display (9 Rating on 10): The Mi4 display is one of the best displays ever produced. It has an enviable brightness and real and vivid colors. Even the viewing angle is almost total with only very slight chromatic variations due to the arrangement of the lamps if you look at the display from below (vertical viewing angle)
- Camera (8 rating on 10): The Sony camera with which the Mi4 is equipped is absolutely one of the best around. The focal aperture from 1.8 allows discrete photos even in low light conditions. The definition is from 13mpx and appears to be penalizing compared to the 20.7mpx of the Meizu MX4 or the 16mpx of the Galaxy Note 4 but as a general quality of the photo the Mi4 does not differ much from these last two devices. Indeed, in particular conditions the photos taken with the Mi4 are better balanced.
- System Fluidity / Features (8 Rating on 10): Also with regard to the operating system, Apple wanted to express its disappointment by complaining about a "copy" of the philosophy of the UI. This is partly true. The MIUI is the system that more than any other Android-based system is inspired by the user experience of the bitten apple.
The goal is ambitious, creating the perfect UI. Inspired by the exceptional Apple experience and keeping the extraordinary capabilities of customizing Android. At this point, this goal is achieved. The MIUI V6, however, brings with it (as well as the lack of a STABLE version) some lags and some bugs too. If the Mi2S could be compared smoothly with the iPhone 5S as fluidity. The Mi4 with its V6 has yet to work to reach the level of fluidity maintained and increased by Apple on the sixth version of its smartphone.
- Value for money (9 rating on 10): 338 Euro Shipped on Flosmall.com. It's true, they're not bruskins. But we are talking about one of the most appreciated 5 devices in the world. The difference in philosophy compared to European distribution devices is clear. You can discuss assistance, services, etc. .. but we are still talking less than half of what it takes to bring home their own apple house alterego. The value for money can only total a beautiful 9!
- Materials (7 rating on 10): The constructive quality of the first OnePlus is very high. The materials used, however, could be chosen with a modicum of more ambition. We are faced with the classic beautiful phone assembled completely in polycarbonate. The Gorilla Glass 3 glass guarantees a resistance to scratches above average even if the number of devices assigned to assistance for crushed glass shows a lack of "serious" protection (aluminum or steel) to a display that is however vulnerable.
- Design (8 Rating on 10): In terms of design, OnePlus has hit the mark. The generous size of the device does not make the smartphone "bulky" and the sharp edges and thin give the feeling of holding in hand a much smaller phone. You realize the 5.5 inch only when you try to use the device with one hand noticing the unattainability of the opposite corner of the display with your thumb. The interchangeable covers such as bamboo and, above all, the Sandstone black, give that extra touch to a device already very beautiful.
- Display (7 Rating on 10): The OnePlus One display is definitely good. The generous diagonal is supported by a FHD resolution able to guarantee maximum vision even at short distances. Unfortunately, especially in the first devices, it was not uncommon to encounter halos or yellowish tendencies on the display. This is a problem that can affect any device but in the case of the OnePlus One this problem seems to have been statistically accentuated. It must be said that the latest devices do not seem to be affected by these problems.
- Camera (8 rating on 10): The camera from 13mpx works well. Early versions of the CYANO software did not take full advantage of the camera's hw features but the latest updates have reached an excellent level. Much appreciated is the use of filters (Ex. Beauty) that allow the taking of pre-processed photos.
- System Fluidity / Features (8 Rating on 10): We are not on the MIUI (although officially supported) but on another famous Android distribution. That of the CYANOGENMOD team. TEAM works hard to regularly update the device and try to exploit it at 100%. At the level of fluidity it is one of the most fluid ever tried. Slightly higher than the MIUI V6 (which I believe will be improved soon). We have a very different user experience and with its pros and cons. Personally I would never be able to go from the MIUI to the CYAN experience but here we go to personal opinions. Definitely performing system.
- Value for money (8 rating on 10): 322 Euro Shipped on Flosmall.com. Costs less than the Mi4 but the slightly lower rating is given by the distribution system chosen by OnePlus in Europe. In fact, the 16GB model should cost 270 + shipping charges (30 Euro less than the Smartylife.net price) but in order to buy it you need to request a purchase invitation, wait for someone to make it available, hope that there is no are thousands of people before us and in the end, if we were lucky, buy. Because of these many problems, they chose to buy Asian distribution which, because of the simple lack of the CYANOGENMOD logo on the back cover, can be purchased at a slightly higher price without any invitation.
- Materials (7 rating on 10): The Meizu MX4 has no noble materials such as aluminum or steel but has a high build quality. There are no crunches and the polycarbonate seems to be of excellent quality.
- Design (8 Rating on 10): The design of the Meizu MX4 does not mark a turning point in the Meizu. The builder prefers to stay on the same wave line as the previous models. Very nice the front in full black glass and very nice the circular home button that also acts as a status led. The rear camber is not the best but allows a firm and pleasant to the touch grip.
- Display (9 Rating on 10): The display of the Meizu MX 4 is perhaps the most beautiful display ever seen. Very high contrast, very deep blacks and exceptional brightness. Vertical and horizontal viewing angles are total. No color variations can be perceived from any part you look at the display. The image appears printed on the glass.
- Camera (8 rating on 10): The camera is nominally one of the most powerful ever with its 20.7 Mpx. Unfortunately, the software must be optimized because the photos, although very good, do not make it as compared to cameras with Mpx much lower (eg Mi4 and OnePlus One)
- System Fluidity / Features (6 Rating on 10): At the level of fluidity the vote would be a nice 9. The FlyMe OS is very well optimized and the general fluidity of the system is excellent. Unfortunately, however, this system still has some bugs and incompatibilities with some applications given the lack of menu and back keys that must be managed with swipes that are not really comfortable. It must be said that Meizu very often updates its devices so the vast majority of problems have returned or will soon return.
- Value for money (7 rating on 10): 339 euro dispatched by Flosmall.co.uk in the 16GB version. It is one of the best Phablet on the market. But the competition of other devices ahead of the sw optimization level is frenetic.
- Materials (9 rating on 10): And someone will exclaim: "Finally!" The Samsung, after years of polycarbonate, decided to produce a smartphone with a capital S. Body in metal and sharp edges in painted aluminum. The shell is not monoblock but the materials are right. Very nice to hold in hand despite the generous dimensions.
- Design (8.5 Rating on 10): Beautiful, definitely nicer than the Galaxy S5. As the Mi4 breaks the metal profile with a back cover of different material. In the case of the Note 4 the soft feedback of the back cover gives elegance to the smartphone and excellent grip.
- Display (9 Rating on 10): The Note 4 display is the only Super Amoled. This guarantees almost perfect blacks at the expense of slightly firmer colors. Although the last Superamoled have greatly improved the color rendering. The Note 4 display is a QHD, which is an 2K (4xHD or 2xFHD) and this surely raises the score. Although comparing this QHD with the "simple" HD of the iPhone 6 one wonders ... but where is the difference?
- Camera (9 rating on 10): The camera is from 16mpx and the focal length from 1.9 ensures bright pictures even in low light conditions. The photos do not deviate much from those taken with the Xiaomi Mi4 but the slightly higher detail is noticeable as soon as we try to zoom the photos to see the smallest details.
- System Fluidity / Features (8 Rating on 10): This time Samsung did a good job. The interface is the menus have been completely redesigned starting from the series 5 Galaxy S series. The fluidity is appreciable. The Dialer is horrible as usual (they probably do not change it from the S1) but overall the software seems a lot lighter and more responsive than the past.
- Value for money (6 rating on 10): 649 euro for a Mr. Phablet. There are so many, it's true. But it must be said that there are no Phablets on the market with Note functions (super nib) comparable to those of the Note series by Samsung. I know people that the nib has extracted 2 times in all. But if we need it, it's something to evaluate.
Do you agree with my ratings?
The careful observer is going to say ... but the iPhone 6 ??
Stay tuned !!
via | [email protected]