You have asked for it in so many and finalmentsand we're happy to bring you all the guidance on how to install the Google Camera on your Mi A2 and Mi A2 Lite device, the sequels of the gloria so Mi A1 by Xiaomi, which also embrace the Android One project. To be honest Mi A2 has a photographic industry that already does its job very well, giving shots that with a few tricks can compete with camera phones much more noble, in short, small works of art. Xiaomi Mi A2 Lite, perhaps it is the one that lends itself best to this modding operation, which I remember must be performed by competent and capable people. And then with the disclaimer:
ATTENTION: The guide involves modding operations that if done incorrectly could damage your device. Therefore we recommend the operation only to those who have a good experience about the Android universe. The staff of XiaomiToday.it assumes no responsibility for any damage to your device.
But let's not waste any more time, and let's start with this guide that will allow you to enjoy the potential of GCam on your Xiaomi Mi A2 and Mi A2 Lite. In the specific case the test was performed on Mi A2 Lite but the guide is functional also for Mi A2, with the only consideration that of course what changes is the boot.img file to be patched. But before you start, I invite you to view our own reviews about We are A2 e Mi A2 Lite.
How to install the Google Camera GCam on Xiaomi Mi A2 and Mi A2 Lite
- Pc Windows with operating system Windows 10
- smartphone Mi A2 / Mi A2 Lite at least 70% charged
- driver ADB and Fastboot installed (click here for download)
- Google Camera mod (I recommend the GCam Arnova for Mi A2 Lite you can find here, or find the one you prefer looking for here)
- Package containing the boot.img and files for install GCam that you can download from here
ATTENTION: the file boot.img contained in the archive refers to the Mi A2 Lite device with ROM V220.127.116.11.ODLMIFF. If you have a different ROM than this, you need to extract the boot.img file for your version, possibly by downloading the ROM from here for Mi A2 e here for MI A2 Lite. Or do some research on the net but pay attention to what you download because you could bootloop your device.
1) Go in Settings - System - Information on the phone - touch the voice several times (seven times) "Build number" until enable Developer Options.
2) Return to the previous screen and enter the Developer Options. Make sure it is activate the USB debug entry and then provide to enable the option "OEM Unlock".
3) Go inside the folder where the ADB drivers are located (so to speak the folder platform tools) and start a PowerShell command window (right mouse button + Shift key on the keyboard at the same time)
4) Connect your smartphone to the PC in file transfer mode and from the PowerShell command window, give the command:
5) If everything is ok, one must appear series of numbers and letters as shown in the image
7) The phone will restart in Fastboot mode (you will see the MITU mascot icon and the Android robot appear on the smartphone display)
8) always from the PowerShell command window, to see that the drivers are correctly installed and that the smartphone is appropriately recognized, write:
9) You will find there as for the adb command a series of numbers and letters related to your devices
11) Now write the command for unlock the bootloader:
11) The message OK will appear on the control screen the phone will restart, erasing all data and showing one first screen that will warn you that your bootloader is unlocked.
11) Go inside the File Manager (File) and move into the folder just transferred from the PC
11) The application will ask you to install the latest version of Magisk Manager. Click on Install
11) Restart the application, which will ask you again if you want to install the latest release. Click Install
11) Now you will be asked if you want to download a zip file or patch the boot image. Choose the second option
11) Now a screen of the Magisk application will start where a series of writings will appear. Wait until the All done!
11) Reopen the PoweSshell command window that you had already opened earlier
22) Now write the command again adb reboot bootloader (always check that the device is recognized as explained above)
11) The phone will restart in fastboo mode againyou from the command window check that the smartphone is recognized typing the command fastboot devices
11) Now you have to write the following command:
11) The will appear written OK and then type the following command again:
11) Restart the smartphone by writing the command:
11) Once your Xiaomi Mi A2 / Mi A2 Lite has restarted enter the Magisk application and subsequently entered in the menu related to the modules (the menu can be found by clicking on the three lines at the top left)
11) Click on the + symbol at the bottom and go to the folder previously transferred to the internal memory of the smartphone e choose the preferred form (standard or with slowmotion ability)
11) Now the installation of the module will start will enable the cam2api on your terminal. After installation, click on close and restart the smartphone
30) Now transfer the apk file of the google cam of your choice, in my case the 5.1.018 of the Arnova and arrange to install it as you would with any apk file
RECOMMENDED PARAMETERS FOR A BETTER USE OF THE GOOGLE CAMERA
Finally the parameters that I advise you to set through the setting of the GCam moddata, for a better experience of use, are the following:
- config camera hdr + = nexus 6 car
- model = 2xl pixels
- hdr + parameters = very high
From the advanced settings menu, activate the following items:
- hDR +
- portrait mode
- hdr + quality 100%
- removing the pinkish / reddish
AND OTA UPDATES?
Are you wondering if this procedure still allows you to receive OTA updates on your Xiaomi Mi A2 and Mi A2 Lite? On the other hand, one of the reasons why you have opted for the purchase of this smartphone is support for constant firmware upgrades for at least 18 months from Google and therefore you don't want to renounce them. Well, you can rest assured, you won't lose the OTAs but you have to continue as follows:
- After the procedure described above deactivates the automatic OTA, to avoid possible problems, by going to Settings - System - Developer options and remove the check from the item Automatic system updates;
- At this point you will no longer receive OTAs automatically but you will have to proceed manually, therefore when you know that a new OTA is available go inside Magisk Manager - Uninstall - Restore images ma very important do not restart the phone;
- Close Magisk Manager and go into Settings - System - System update e install the OTA;
- Once the update is finished the system will ask you to restart the phone: do not do it! Open Magisk Manager instead and go to Install - Install in the inactive slot (after an OTA);