If you are the owner of an Xiaomi device, surely you have clashed with this relatively new "problem" introduced by the Chinese company about a year ago: it is not possible to change ROM at your leisure as it happened on old smartphones.
Getting started about unlocking the bootloader
- you can install an official fastboot ROM using MiFlash and fastboot mode
- you can install a custom recovery (eg TWRP) and unofficial ROMs
- you will be able to flash a ROM in fastboot mode: it is the simplest solution for software problems (eg brick)
Before proceeding with the proper guide, it is essential that you receive some information:
- unlocking the bootloader NOT it is a cause of invalidation of guarantee in any case (subject to irreversible subsequent software operations);
- install an official ROM NOT locks the bootloader again;
- the bootloader can be re-locked manually using MiFlash and selecting the "clean all and re-lock" option;
- the authorization of the Xiaomi account at the unlocking of the bootloader allows to unlock a device every 30gg;
- NOT it is essential to have the phone to be unlocked to make the authorization request;
- the authorization request and the unlocking operations must be made necessarily from PC;
- to unlock the bootloader is Indispensabile have an official ROM on your phone: in some cases with the Global Stable it is not possible to unlock
How to proceed to make the request
We initiate Chrome from PC. It is advisable to use this browser because it has the integrated possibility of translating web pages and ... with Chinese we will need it!
Let's go to the official site en.miui.com and we log in to the Xiaomi account.
If you do not have one, create it ex novo and use the telephone number on which you want to receive the SMS of the authorization as a confirmation method.
READ MORE – especially if you already had an account Xiaomi, join your profile en.miui.com, by clicking on your name at the top right. Let's go to the section "update profile"And from there on the card entitled"password". You have to complete the security check-up until complete completion (100%) by entering the number on which to receive the authorization via SMS as a recovery telephone number.
After completing the profile on the official site, you have to go on MiCloud site and log in with the previously created account.
Now you could find it in front of you two situations: if you have never entered before i.mi.com, click on "Sign in"At the top and - even here - you will have to complete yours safety profile proceeding with the verification via SMS exactly as done previously; if you already had the Xiaomi account, simply click on the dart next to your name top right and then up "account”And repeat the steps made on en.miui.com, or click on the tab Security and complete the profile at 100%.
We make the bootloader unlock request
We can proceed with the real request.
Come on en.miui.com and we verify that we are logged in. In the upper right, your nickname must appear and not sign in.
Click on "Unlock"And most likely a page will open where you will have to log in with the email used during registration on en.miui.com.
Once logged in, we will be able to translate the page and we will have to start completing the fields for the request as follows:
- your name
- the country of origin
- the telephone number on which to receive the SMS (MUST BE THE ONE USED IN THE SECURITY PROFILE)
- the text of the request: copy this 请 批准 我 的 请求 开锁 。e and write in English "Please, approve my request for unlocking"
- accept the terms and proceed
At this point check your phone for an SMS with a code to be placed on the page that will open.
Enter the code, the procedure is over and you just have to WAIT.
And if the procedure returned a blacklist IP error?
Unfortunately lately, it is often the fault of Xiaomi's Chinese servers. You will need to use a Chinese Proxy server to connect to the Internet and repeat the procedure.
Let's briefly see how to set up a Proxy server.
Use Firefox possibly (and not Chrome) for this procedure and to repeat the procedure because it has the built-in Proxy settings.
Connect to the site: https://www.proxynova.com/proxy-server-list/country-cn/ and you will find a list of Chinese Proxy Servers.
You have to try somebody who has a good speed (otherwise you lose too much time!) And not anonymous. Copy the Proxy IP and Proxy Port in the Firefox settings as follows.
Click on the three lines in the upper right and Firefox menu will open. Select the tab Advanced and from there Network. Then in the window that opens, select "Manual proxy configuration" and write us the IP and the proxy port to use. Then do OK and repeat the message request procedure (point 2).
Have you received the authorization message? Let's proceed with the unlock!
You have received the message. Great!
Then from the PC we connect on en.miui.com/unlock and we can download the tool which will serve us to unlock the bootloader.
Downloaded MiUnlockTool we can go ahead with the procedure.
First of all verify that you have the official ROM (don't try to unlock it by having a fake ROM because you will have very little chance of success). If you don't have it, you can follow these guides to recognize and replace your ROM ROM:
Verified to have one Official ROM, we log in to the MiAccount from the phone: go to settings - My Account and log in to the account you have created and which has been authorized by Xiaomi for release.
From settings, then, let's go to MiAccount, enter in MiCloud and activate the "Find device"
From the PC we go up i.mi.com and we log in with the Xiaomi account.
If a button appears at the topSign in“, Click on it and complete your security profile proceeding with the verification via SMS exactly as done previously; if you are logged in, click on the small arrow next to your name at the top right and then on "account" and complete the Security profile at 100%.
Once this is done, check that it appears at the top "1 connected
We click on 1 connected and verify that the phone connected to MiCloud is the one to unlock.
Let's take the phone now and let us know opzioni sviluppatore (7 click on MIUI version from device information), we enter the developer options (which we find in additional settings) and click on “Unlock Status"And at the bottom we click on the only button present: in this way the phone-account association will be done automatically and we will have no problems of any kind.
Now everything is set up and ready!
Let's put the phone in fastboot mode (power and volume down), connect it to the PC and start the unlocking tool of the bootloader.
We log in with our Xiaomi account and we wait for the authorization verification to be completed.
At this point we click on UNLOCK and we expect the procedure to be completed.
You have unlocked your Xiaomi bootloader!
In the event of errors, you will almost certainly be in a driver issue on your PC. Then follow these steps and then try to unlock the Xiaomi tool.
We disable driver signatures on the PC
- from phone, go to settings -> device info and click 7 times on MIUI Version: this way we will become developers
- always from the phone, now, let's go back to settings -> additional settings (the second item, not the one under "hotspot" but the one immediately following "memory") -> developer options and activate the Debug USB
Now let's turn off signatures on your PC.
- (if you have Windows 10 follow these steps and then proceed to the next step)notifications icon bottom right, click on all settings, then up upgrade and security, select the card for developers and choose the developer mode
- (if you have Windows 8.1 follow from here – if you have Windows 10 continue with this point) restart by holding down the SHIFT key and, when restarting, we will enter the TROUBLESHOOTING menu and then in ADVANCED OPTIONS
- then click on START SETTINGS and then on RIAVVIA. When you reboot, you will be presented with one list like this below and you will have to click F7 to disable driver signatures. The PC will restart automatically
We install the adb and fastboot drivers on the PC
We just restarted the PC, then download the following files:Download Driver Installation Tool Adb Download ADB folder Download MiFlash Ver. 20160830
Time connect the phone to the PC and verify that it is connected in MTP mode (lower the notification curtain and, if connected in "recharge only" mode, change it to MTP). At this point a message will appear on your phone asking you to allow USB debugging from your PC: before agreeing, check the box "always allow debugging USB from this computer"And then we give consent.
Now let's start the driver driver installation tool (right click + start from administrator) and click on install as shown below:
At the end we install MiFlash and, when asking us to install the drivers with a warning, we give the consent proceeding with the installation of the drivers. The message will be repeated 70 times the radiating power, and we confirm it all the time.
We put the phone in fastboot (power and volume down), we check in Device Manager (on W10 just right click on the Windows logo at bottom left) that looks like a "Kedacom USB Device". [basically your Windows build does not recognize device drivers correctly]
Click on Kedacom USB Device and the submenu will open. You should have Android Bootloader Interface. Right click on it and select "Update driver software ..", select search for driver software on your computer (option below), select search from a list of drivers on your computer, select version 126.96.36.199 and wait for the 'installation.
If you have problems, you can follow the procedure indicated by the following video demonstration.
Unplug the phone and restart the PC. Then check out Device Manager that your phone is no longer recognized as Kedacom.
If you are satisfied with the guide and, why not, if you would like to offer me a beer or a coffee for the work done, I leave the PayPal donation button below. No obligation, be clear!